Clay whistles

---------

From: Louise Neal (tamaru_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 20:18:19 PST

Dear Cathy, (Re Clay Whistles)
        Having my students make clay whistles for about 10 years, I have found
a few things that work. I use a video "Whistle While You Sculpt" as an
introduction to the process. As others have said, it depends upon the
size of the hollow body as to what sound you get. I have had my
students organize themselves according to sound (pitch) and we have
actually played songs, like they do with hand bells. Usually if your
whistle does not work it is because you do not have the angle of the
top hole correct. Another problem is making sure the top and
bottom of the mouthpiece area are even with each other. Sometimes the
bottom of the mouthpiece area will stick out further than the top,
which leads me to another good video. It is called Clay Whistles and
it demonstrates all the problems that can happen with the whistle. It
is available through Sheffield Pottery. It may be listed in other
catalogs as well. I hope this has been helpful. Louise in PA

---