dinsosaur ideas for 2nd grade

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 21:44:48 PST

A favorite dinosaur lesson with my 2nd graders: start by brainstorming what
an environment for dinosaurs would look like, list ideas on board, start
with 18 x 24 paper, have them draw with pencil , put in the horizon line
first then add things they listed like trees, rocks, ferns, volcanoes etc .
I make them check with me to make sure they erase all the lines they don't
need (horizon line going through the tree trunk,etc.) Then they outline
every line with black sharpies, then color everything -we use combinations
of crayons, oil pastels, colored pencil (their choice) This all takes
several 45 minute sessions. Next step is to introduce stencils -they
practice simple side view dinosaurs , then draw and cut on tagboard. (About
4x6 size) The next week is the best--they print their dinosaurs with sponges
and acrylic paints. I show them how to print half a dino like it is hiding
behind a tree or coming out from behind a volcano-they love it. I let them
trade stencils (with permission) as they go from station to station to use
different paints. Its a long project but covers many skills. There is one
framed at school that I could send a photo of. This year second grade
changed their science curriculum so I did something similar with a seascape.
         Jeryl

---