another homeschool survey

---------

From: Colette C (ctcolwell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 16:19:58 PST

My topic is home schooling.

>What is your first reaction to the term home schooling? ( Do you think
>home schoolers are religious or political radicals?)

It made a lot of sense to me. My school years were awful.

>( Do you think
>home schoolers are religious or political radicals?)

No, not always, they are mostly concerned and involved parents with many
different ideas about why they can do a better job schooling their children
at home than the public schools.

>Are you insulted by home schooling?

No.

>Are you offended that what we do may be in question by the parent or
>student that wants homeschooling?

>No, a carrying and dedicated parent can often provide a better education
>than the public schools can.
>
>Who do think home schools?

Parents from all walks of life. Rich, poor (yes I have known some) white,
black (yes again, I have met some) religious and atheist (have met a few of
those too).

>and why? Religious reasons, social reasons (keeping their kids away from
>negative influences), educational reasons...

>Do you think home schoolers have any district or state mandated
>requirements? Are you
>aware of any requirements?

Yes, in NC they must be registered with the state and the parent must be a
high school graduate.

>Should homeschoolers be allowed to to participate in curricular(classes)
>or extracurricular activities that the public school provides?

Yes, the parents are already paying for these activities with their taxes.

>Why are the numbers of home schoolers increasing? (what needs are we not
>meeting?)

I had 3 pregnant students last year. (I teach middle school) need I say
more?

>My local survey indicates that teachers think that the home schooled child
>misses out on the socialization aspect of attending school. Is this
>valid?

No, I have known many homeschooled children over the past 15 years. Many of
them are in college now, The ones that I have met are very well adjusted and
many times better socially adjusted than public school students. The
socialization that goes on in my school is often x-rated, cruel and often
violent.

>I spent an hour yesterday interviewing a child that comes weekly to my
>video
>production club , but is otherwise home schooled. He is doing incredible
>stuff with video and computer stuff. He is motivated to work all day on
>what
>compels him. He is faithful to my club. His special needs don't fall into
>the categories so home schooling is working for him. His reasons are
>pursuit of interest and I am respectful of what he feels the school was
>not
>giving him.

I'm happy for this student. He is the kind of kid I would love to teach!

Sincerely,
Colette

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize

---