Re: Stencils for Elementary Students? Appropriate or not?

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 16:16:09 PST

Hi Eileen,
   You asked....Do any of you Elementary art teachers prepare stencils for
the students to use? Rarely.

   For example, do you make stencils of different leaves for the students to
sponge print around in kindergarten or first grade? Or do you insist on the
students making their own stencils?
   I taught all my students to design and cut stencils as an integral part
of the process. The only assistance I gave for the primary children was
to mark off an interior border beyond which the design should not go. It is
important to design a scope and sequence program from K on up that allows
you to start with simple stencil projects with K, then get more
sophisticated as the children move up the grades. I also agree with the

I do find it works well for my special needs class.
   In time, though, give them the challenge of making their own.

       Glad to hear you are enjoying your elementary level experience,
Eileen!

               Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
               Art teacher, K-5, retired

---