Re: Stencils for Elementary Students? Appropriate or not?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 16:00:09 PST

I don't use stencils - if I am doing a project that requires stencils I have the students make their own. I did cheat this year when I did my fall collage with my 3rd graders and used the die cuts for the leaves, BUT the entire context of the lesson is using complementary colors to shade, and these are done with oil pastels and primary/secondary colors. I used the die cuts as a short cut just to finish up, because the leaves add a nice finishing touch. All of my lessons on my site are from "scratch" unless otherwise stated. They learn early enough to use a crutch (my 5th & 6th graders will trace everything if I let them) so I like to have them achieve success on their own whenever possible.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  Please help me with this. It's kind of a moral issue. But I don't want to be a stickler where it's not appropriate or necessary. How do you all feel about this for Elementary students? I hope my question opens up a discussion by all of you. By the way, I'm the only Elementary art teacher in my school system so I have nobody to ask. Please be candid. Thanks from Eileen in Westchester (loving teaching Elementary Art)

---