RE: Stencils for Elementary Students? Appropriate or not?

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 15:23:39 PST

I use stencils occasionally, usually for basic shapes. For example, my fifth
graders are doing silk painting and I wanted them to do a colored pencil
drawing first, so I traced the silk stretched hoops and made a circular
pattern for them so their drawings would be the correct size.
As for kindergarten, I also use stencils or patterns sometimes simply because
they need practice using scissors and having a good line to follow is helpful.
I try not to use stencils whenever possible, though. I have two "picture
files" that they work from. If they need to draw a fish, I have pictures of
fish, etc.

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From PrimaryE@aol.com =====
  Do any of you Elementary art teachers prepare stencils
>for the students to use? For example, do you make stencils of different
leaves
>for the students to sponge print around in kindergarten or first grade?

---