Clay Whistles - I made my 1st

---------

From: Cathy K (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 13:26:42 PST

Okay I have to bring my good news to you all. Last night I made my first
clay whistle and I think it works, well it makes a sound! I haven't worked
with clay in years and thought I better get myself brushed up on what I'm
introducing to my students next week or I'm going to look stupid. Anyway, I
sat down with my son (who is also one of my students) and together we went
through four different instructions on clay whistles. Anyway my concern is
the sound. I'm guessing that clay whistles are not going to sound like
those plastic whistles you buy at the store so is the sound a high pitch,
low pitch or bottle pitch? My reason for asking is that the clay whistle I
created and got to work makes a nice bottle whistle high pitch. I found
that if I wrapped my lips around the mouthpiece the sound was just air but
if I pressed my lips gently to the openning of the mouthpiece it made the
high pitch bottle whistle sound. Is this corrent? I went through four
different clay whistle instructions then combined two of them to be able to
create my working whistle. Can anyone tell me what a clay whistle is
supposed to sound like?

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95.