Re: making ornaments - faux stained glass

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 11:30:30 PST

Oh yippy!!! Micah you ARE back on Getty list. I have
missed you. Welcome back. Let us ALL work hard so
Michal doesn't leave again.

My first thought too was stained glass effect (this
does work - I did it at the art center one year when
we set up holiday arts and crafts - although we had
free plexiglas disks - drilled hole in them for
hanging). How about mini rose windows. Keep the design
simple since the lids are so small (simple radial
design planned on paper circle.....Outline with
squeeze puffy paint (you can get a lead color metallic
- or use black puffy paint -- or any dark color. Then
color with permanent markers OR do Cathy's technique
of mixing gloss medium with water color (try it first
to see if it will stick). Make a meaningful lesson out
of it.

Plan B - make tissue paper poinsettias. Cut a bunch of
red and green leaves all at once. Mod Podge onto lid -
use puffy paint for flower centers. Apply tissue with
a touch of silver dust in the Modpodge if desired.
Have kids learn the Poinsettia legend....include some
history about Poinsettias
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/poinsettia/
Maybe get some of the metallic/pearlescent tissue
paper.

Hmmmm.... I am thinking service learning here, too --
Make them to distribute to nursing homes. Kids take
them to present and do some caroling too.

Well... back to laundry - for joy.

Judy

--- The Austin's <whest177@wheatstate.com> wrote:
> My first thought is to use permanent markers and
> create mini stained glass ornaments. Haven't tried
> this, but it's a thought.
> ~*~Michal~*~
> K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
> http://www.geocities.com/theartkids