Re: Dinosaurs -elementary

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 19:05:31 PST

A favorite dinosaur project was a diorama - 3-D.
Showing landscape - trees, plants and dinosaurs. I
made one myself when I was in second or third grade. I
loved dinosaurs....spent days drawing them, too.

You could do the pop-up animal lesson idea on the
Rousseau page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/files/rousseau.htm

Actually - you could use all of the Rousseau lesson
ideas that are on that page.

Another popular lesson I did was black silhouette
dinosaurs,trees, plants etc. against a chalk stencil
backgroud. Brief how to on the Halloween page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/SubPlans/hween.htm

Probably my all time favorte was sculpture. You can
make wire, newspaper, foil armatures and then plaster
guaze or paper mache. I've done them both ways. I
posted a link to a paper mache how to not too long
ago....sorry, I can not give you the link today.

Jeryl's kids made people all from foil - your students
could use all foil to make it easier (more $$ that way
though).

Dinosaurs are also a favorite for clay. You can make
your own play dough if you don't have a kiln. I didn't
mind using salt dough when I was in third grade. I
remember the collie dog I made (gave it to my uncle).

The "Queen" of dinosaur ideas is Sandy Bacon. She has
lots of good ideas. My favorite of hers was a dino dig
for bones. Her students made ceramic bone parts for a
baby stegosaurus. They buried them in sand -then went
on a bone hunt to find them and assemble the skeleton.

A cute idea was to make a small clay dinosaur then
hide in in a dinosaur egg. I don't have her dinosaur
eggs recipe - Maybe she will see your post. Kids broke
open their eggs then to get the baby dinosaur.

I bet the Internet is full of dinosaur lesson
plans....hmmm....all of these ideas I am posting are
deja vu. I think I posted all of them over the summer.

Judy

--- PrimaryE@aol.com wrote:
> Does anyone have any interesting lessons on
> Dinosaurs for 2nd or 3rd grades
> (Elementary)?
>

> ---
> judydeckeriad@yahoo.com