Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Collage Lessons on Incredible Art Department

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 14:33:14 PST

Linda's interior collage lesson WILL be put on
Incredible Art Department. I might suggest using
wallpaper for the walls (smaller prints) - or having
students creat their own wall paper patters a la
Matisse with stamp printing.

I can even see this being done with Surrealism - have
students create a surreal environment through the
window (a al Magritte)...or a dream through the many possibilities.

Here is a project I would LOVE to see
someones'students do:

I'd love to see students create a surreal collage from
photographs -
then render it in colored pencil - or maybe a value
scale drawing in pencil - or watercolor - or even

It would be so cool if they could even take it one
more step and create a ceramic (or other technique)
sculpture of part of the composition a la Dali (I have
some great images of Dali sculptures done from his
paintings). For those who don't do clay -- maybe this
could be a lesson that you could do along with the
ceramics teacher? Have ceramics and scupture class
create the scultures from your students' surreal
compositions (showing collaboration -- done so much in
the art world today)?.

Since we still don't know what grade level we are
looking for.... I will just post the URL's for what I
DO have on the site. I know I'll miss some of them so
do some exploring for ones I miss.

Picasso self portraits - cut paper and mixed media
(use all sorts of papers):

(these were done by 6th grade LD students)

See Rebecca's Mixed media Picasso collage (could use
wallpapers for this too)- adaptable to many grades:
 (See Ken Schwab's Cubism lesson plan for more ideas)

See Matisse collage for graded 2 thru 5:
 Rebecca Engleman has done this with stamp printed
wall papers, too (I have some images to add to this

Heroes Triptych (can be done with card board - and
done as diptych, too) - middle school and up:

Similar lesson - done as shadow box:
 (see my example)

Renaissance painting/collage:

Cut paper - could use more than construction paper for

Romare Bearden collage - adaptable to many grade
(could be done all with papers and colors from
magazines etc -instead of painting papers to save

Torn paper collage portraits:
  See an example of this (scroll down)

Cut paper portraits - best suitable for high school
(doable with middle school, too):

Surrealism Corpse Cards:

Eric Carle Collage - adaptable to many grades:

Japanese Collage - middle school and up:
Could do Kimono designs with younger grades - using
wallpapers/mixed media.

Landscape watercolor collage (can combine with
construction papers too):
I have done a similar lesson with oil pastels, too --
impressionistic strokes - mixing colors on black paper
- torn strips reassembled to make landscape.

Jazz collage - musical instruments - could combine
other materials with this too:

There are probably more lessons....but these should
give you some ideas to sttart with.

Judy Decker

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department