the survay on homeschooling

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 06:24:05 PST

What is your first reaction to the term home schooling? ( Do you think
home schoolers are religious or political radicals?)
-Many of the home school in our area come from strong religious
backgrounds. (Our high school has a witch as a logo and that turns some
people away immediately..)

Are you insulted by home schooling? Are you offended that what home school
adults
do?
Why would I be insulted by it? It is one of the rights that has been
allowed in our country.

Who do you think home schools?
Speaking from personally experience parents who wish to shelter their
students from experiences that they feel are corrupting or negative.
Unfortunately you can't do it for ever. When the child becomes an adult
they still need to interact with the world at large. Second answer people
with very strong religious beliefs...

and why?
At it's best, the student gets on one help. Education can be tailored to
them. They can move at their own pace. I still strongly believe that there
is a certain percentage of need for control of the kid involved here.

Do you think home schoolers have any district or state mandated
requirements?
Yes they do have them in Maine. How strongly they are monitored I don't
know.

Should home schoolers be allowed to participate in =
curricular(classes)or extracurricular
activities that the public school provides?
-Yes, they already do... Our high school in Maine has kids participate in
sports, or participate in one class. The conflict comes when the parent
sometimes tries to dictate what the coach can or can not do. Back to the
controlling parent issue...

Why are the numbers of home schoolers increasing?
-I do know this to be true in Maine...

My local survey indicates that teachers think that the home schooled
child misses out on the socialization aspect of attending school. Is this
valid?
-Absolutely. the book "Everything I learned in kindergarten" is a very
interesting source.
We Americans are diverse. We rejoice in our diversity. We learn that we
are alike and yet different. We learn to RESPECT difference by being with
large groups. My concern about home schooled kids would they would grow up
to be narrow minded adults. How could they not grow up that way???

Randy in Maine

---