Re: scented candles

---------

From: Cathy K (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 02:39:40 PST

Ellen
I agree with Tammy that it could be the scent that your child is having a
reaction to or here is another thought. It might also be the combination of
the type of candle wax plus the scent. My reason for saying this is because
last year when I taught Religion I would light candles during our monthly
prayer service. One day I couldn't find my prayer candle so I grabbed my
fellow Religion teacher's Strawberry Scented Candle and used that instead.
Well, much to my surprise I had about three girls and one boy become ill
from the scent. The interesting part about this is that the classroom that
I used the scented candle in already had an air freshner of a less subtle
scent permiating through the classroom. These same students have been in
that classroom all year and never had a reaction to the on-going scent
except for that one time when I used that scented candle. My guess was that
either the students were over powered by both scents in the classroom or the
combination wax plus scent from the candle. Anyway, that's my two cents on
the issue.

I also agree with Tammy that you should ask the teacher, nicely, to
reconsider using candles in the classroom for your son's health issue. If
she says no then get a note from your son's pediatrician stating the medical
necessity that your child not be exposed to scented candles.

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI

Is your computer infected with a virus? Find out with a FREE computer virus
scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!