RE: another survey-Homeschooling (only if you have time)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 17:55:54 PST

Renee

This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for and thanks. I live
in a rather privileged place and often wonder about situations not so well
off. I think those I am around are not so aware of the places that
options are not so available. I'm looking for opinions that are not so
privledged.

Woody said my survey was biased
and yes it is
My questions are a bit "pointed' because I've found few public school
teachers willing to say any thing positive about home schooling. I have
gotten nothing from teachers but angry responses. That, I find a bit
disturbing. So many kids don't fit in.

I used the word radical because that is the historic perception. My
research indicates that is not what is going on today. The kid that can't
fit into a school setting of 2000+ population, the kid with learning
disabilities, the gifted kid, the kid that is bullied , and yes there are
certain areas where there are few options .... Alaska has a lot of
homeschoolers because that is the alternative.
> One girl I know of is homeschooled because she is ADHD and the school setting
> is not for her. She is very, very talented in art and has a private tutor. She
> has had her own art show at galleries at the age 14.

This is the perception I got from the student that comes to my club. He is
thriving on his time to express. He is doing what he has to do to get the
"other stuff'" and in the mean time has done enough to get a commission for
a cable TV ad. He's kid that doesn't fit in and no way I deny him
access to my club and my video experience.

I fear that if we don't finds ways to find all the kids that don't fit the
mold ......... ah
       those that don't fit the mold ..... don't they become artists?

> all education is a big experiment, and we will all be around to see the
> results..and as one of my colleagues here at school used to say "there are no
> do-overs" when it comes to educating children. (Thanks San D)

Patty
The responses are coming and I'm grateful I'll compile some kind of results
soon

---