Re: another survey-Homeschooling (only if you have time)

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 18:20:05 PST

another survey-Homeschooling (only if you have time)
  My topic is home schooling.

  What is your first reaction to the term home schooling? Some people are very capable of teaching their children, others do their child a great disservice by attempting to teach them

   ( Do you think home schoolers are religious or political radicals?) No
       Are you insulted by home schooling? No
  Are you offended that what we do may be in question
       by the parent or student that wants homeshooling? No

       Who do think home schools? and why? It varies from individual to individual. Some do it for selfish reasons, others do it because they travel extensively and teach their children "on the road", others feel they have more to offer their child than school's can offer

      Do you think home schoolers have any district or state mandated requirements? Are you
      aware of any requirements? yes, they must fill out paperwork and test yearly

      Should homeschoolers be allowed to to participate in curricular(classes) or extracurricular
      activities that the public school provides? I believe they should attend classes at least 1/2 time and pay any additional fees that the activity requires

      Why are the numbers of home schoolers increasing? (what needs are we not meeting?) I'm not aware that these numbers are increasing in our area. Our enrollment rises yearly.

     My local survey indicates that teachers think that the home schooled child misses out on the
     socialization aspect of attending school. Is this valid? absolutely - attending Sunday school and girl/boy scouts does not involve the socialization skills that spending hours every day with one's peers requires. Most of the home schooled students I have taught (due to parents decision to not home school anymore - why is this???) were very socially inept. They struggled with perceiving their peer's body language, facial expressions, and the other subtle signals that one learns through daily interactions.

  Can we embrace all alternatives to educating all children and, perhaps, disregard our notions of what we regard as tradition? Tradition should have nothing to do with education - it should always be what is best for the child.

---