Re: scented candles

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 14:59:16 PST

Scented candles stink!

I won't go into shops that sell scented candles, perfumes or soaps, and I make my visit to the cleaning supplies aisle of the grocery store very short - not because it causes me any pain, but because it stinks. I simply find it very unpleasant.The unpleasant odor is why I avoid scented markers and things like baby oil (I use mineral oil instead) in my classroom. While I'm no expert, I can see how strong scents might cause physical distress or illness for some people, so on that basis alone it shouldn't be happening in a classroom. Additionally, having scented air in a classroom would not be a fair trade for the increased fire hazard a candle represents, unless the use of the candle has a strong educational component.

This stinky topic has brought me to remembering favorite scents. Spring rain, fresh cut hay, feed stores, cigar stores. Baby's heads, apple pie or bread in the oven, hemlock forest. This whole topic stinks.

Mark

"Sears, Ellen" <ESears@Anchorage.k12.ky.us> wrote:
A little off topic, and personal in nature... sorry... looking for a large
sample for data -

my son has a teacher that burns scented candles in class - and the days he
has her he has horrible headaches....
could the headache be related to the candles?

Thanks,
Ellen