Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Navajo meanings for color - Ellen

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 12:48:30 PST

Hi Ellen - Here are more artists to inspire you. There
are some beautiful paintings of Kachinas in this group
of artists. Christine sent me these links. See David
John for sure.

Baje Whitethorne

Don Clark

David K.John

Nora Naranjo-Morse

Benson Halwood

Justin Tso

Lucy McKelvey

Since color symbolism is so tricky (varies from
culture to culture), I often had students combine with
their own color symbolism - what does the color mean
to them?

Thanks Christine for the Navajo color
symbolism(Welcome to Getty list - I look forward to
reading more posts from you). I updated my file on
color symbolism:

Ellen, I would LOVE to have your lesson plan on
Incredible Art Department. Get a couple pictures of
the student work, too. I will link up all of these
online resources to your plan.

> I have been really inspired by Judy Decker's
> collection of Native American artist sites and have
> decided to write a lesson plan based on Tony
> Abeyta's paintings for student teaching next
> semester. I know there is probablly a lot of
> symbolism in the paintings and I noticed he often
> uses a combination of red and blue. I have been
> searching the net trying to find out what the
> meaning of these colors are to the Navajo but have
> found many different answers. Does anyone know of a
> reliable source where I could find out?
> -Ellen

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department