Re: Italian art activities -Carnival masks

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 12:16:17 PST

Hi Gina!

It is good to see you again on the list.

How about some kind of carnival mask? Keep them just
half face masks. She could use tag board -- she could
even buy real cheap half face masks to use as a base.
Around here, you can get free window screen from hard
ware stores that repair windows. That makes a nice
armature for half face masks. Combine with wallpaper
scraps, fabrics, fabric trims,feathers, sequins, music
scores....and so forth.

Here are some resources:
Carnival of Venice - some history:
http://www.delpiano.com/carnival/html/venice_car.html

Florentine Masks (California Company) - Italian style
masks:
http://www.maskart.com/

Carnival Masks & Masguerade Mask in French and Italian
Tradition:
http://www.finemasks.com/index.htm Lots of REALLY neat
ideas.
Use wall paper and music scores for this idea - plus
fabric trims
http://www.finemasks.com/vanetziabella.htm
Maybe add window screen for this idea
http://www.finemasks.com/pagliacci.htm

Venice Carnival Masks (small images):
http://www.venicemaskshop.com/default.htm

Venetian Carnival masks - Gives brief history of
Venetian carnival Masks:
http://www.anymask.com/masksofvenice1.html

I haven't checked to see if these links are still
active - I found them in June.

Judy

--- J+G Grant <jggrant@melbpc.org.au> wrote:
> Once again, my school is holding a multi-age Italian
> day next month. Most of the teachers who were doing
> an art approach have already asked me for some
> suggestions (I am setting up for the art exhibition
> so I am out of it - Yippee!). But one late comer has
> just asked for an idea. She is looking pretty bereft
> (I am feeling that way too - just finished my paper
> for Post-Grad cert. to be handed in tomorrow and am
> not wanting to think too much - specially as my art
> room is being renovated and I am up to my elbows in
> it). So has anyone got any ideas I could give this
> poor lady. It will be for grade 3 to 6 mix, 45
> minutes in length.

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department