Re: Navajo meanings for color

---------

From: Christine Merriam (ktownart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 09:31:16 PST

The Four Sacred Mountains and directions are
associated with colors:

"White: Mount Blanca (Tsisnaasjini' - Dawn or White
Shell Mountain)Sacred Mountain of the East near
Alamosa in San Luis Valley, Colorado

Blue: * Mount Taylor (Tsoodzil - Blue Bead or
Turquoise Mountain)Sacred Mountain of the South north
of Laguna, New Mexico

Yellow: * San Francisco Peaks (Doko'oosliid - Abalone
Shell Mountain) Sacred Mountain of the West
near Flagstaff, Arizona
http://www.lapahie.com/Sacred_Mts.cfm

Black: * Mount Hesperus Dibé Nitsaa (Big Mountain
Sheep) - Obsidian Mountain Sacred Mountain of the
North La Plata Mountains, Colorado "

"The principal colors, white, blue, yellow and black
are linked to the four sacred mountains as well as the
directions- Red is often considered a sacred color and
represents sunlight."
http://www.americana.net/sandptest.html

Hope this information is useful

Christine Merriam