weaving project

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 07:13:47 PST

Today my 6th graders are finishing up their 3-week weaving project. We have
always woven pictures, this time I wanted to try bags, and they have been
successful. We didn't do the drawstrings, we wove purses with a front flap. The
boys were happy to do this as well, which kind of suprised me. This let them
weave around the loom and also flat, so they had to practice their tension.

Then we made twisted cord handles, which they love doing. The cord twisters
haven't shown up in the art supply catalogs, but I got mine from a tech-ed
catalog.

I asked them to do at least one section of color blending (guatemalan weaving
for example), vertical striping (same example) what the kids call "joining",
basic inlay, and the extra credit for Egyptian knots. One girl did an American
flag with egyptian knots and thin white satin ribbon on the back of her purse.

---