state conferences

---------

From: Amanda Linn (toasterart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 18:39:29 PST

The Arkansas Art Ed conference was last week. I
believe we had record attendance. Reading all the
reports from the meetings made me wonder-
What types of presentations/workshops are given at
your state meetings? Are there more presentations
about art techniques, "project" oriented lessons, etc.
or more presentations about aesthetics, art criticism,
writing and thinking in art, etc. or some area I
haven't listed?
What trends do you see in what art teachers are
thinking and talking about?

As for ticketed workshops- here you can buy tickets
when you pre-register. If your workshop is full then
you receive a refund at check in. Any remaining
workshop tickets are sold at the conference. I have
never given a workshop or presentation that required
tickets. This year I gave more than one presentation
with handouts. I will say that Arkansas teachers are
fairly civil. I ran out of handouts each time-
teachers from the same district took only one handout
and made copies when they got home. I have a list of
individual email addresses to send attachments of the
handouts. I think most of the people who came to my
sessions stayed. If I have handouts leftover from a
presentation, I give them to my friends who teach in
higher ed so they can share them with their college
students.
The whole handout snatching game is rather troubling.
Do you ever wonder if those people even READ your
handout later?

Amanda Linn

=====
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear- George Orwell