Re: state conferences - a worthwhile workshop

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (henneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 18:19:39 PST

Wow! Sky! It was so good to see you at the NJEA convention. I was
just thinking how nice it was to see you and have a hug but when I
present I don't have the time to spend visiting with you and I miss
that. It is exciting to hear that the session was useful to you. That
is what keeps me presenting.
Thanks,
Sharon ~NJ

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 09:31 PM, Geoffrey McClain wrote:

> My favorite workshop at the NJ convention was the one given by Sharon
> Henneborn. It was about presenting art works to students so that the
> students could bring their own personal thoughts and experiences to
> the piece being discussed . The idea is to listen to the children
> instead of having them listen to you. Maybe this sounds obvious but I
> think I have been too eager to blab away about the paintings, the time
> in which they were painted, who the artist was and on and on. Today I
> tried this new approach with my fifth graders. I showed them some
> Japanese woodcuts. I got the most wonderful, thoughtful and even
> surprising responses. One boy said the streaks of rain in one print
> may have been done that way because that was the way the artist saw
> them in the woodblock. Another girl said the cat at the window looked
> as if it were yearning to be outside and free. I am so glad I got to
> attend this workshop and use what I learned.

---