Thanksgiving Lesson Ideas

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 16:29:35 PST

Well... I was right....Folks have searched IAD for
Thanksgiving lesson ideas. There are many sites online
about Thanksgiving. I won't repost all of the Native
American ideas I shared - but will forward to anyone
who asks.

There is now an excellent lesson plan online from
Jesse for Ex Votos paintings (Thanks paintings):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/jesse-thanks.htm

Here is a repeat of my post from two weeks ago:

I am anticipating the need for Native American
ideas....it is that time of year again (smile).

Pottery of the Wampanoag (Eastern woodlands Indians)
would be a good lesson.
http://www.nativetech.org/pottery/index.html

Myths of First Thanksgiving:
http://www.2020tech.com/thanks/temp.html
Some information:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/1127/p13s02-lign.html
Winslows account:
http://www.pilgrimhall.org/1stthnks.htm

First Thanksgiving -Scholastic Site:
http://teacher.scholastic.com/thanksgiving/

Also see Plimoth Plantation:
http://www.plimoth.org/

Teaching about Native American Art:
http://www.bostonkids.org/teachers/TC/html/evaluate.htm
Some Wampanoag art:
http://www.bostonkids.org/teachers/TC/html/collect.htm
The Wampanoag
http://www.bostonkids.org/teachers/TC/html/what.htm
Wampanoag history: http://www.tolatsga.org/wampa.html

Ramona Peters - contemporary Wampanoag pottery forms:
http://www.wldwind.com/rpeters/pottery.htm
http://www.wldwind.com/rpeters/home.htm
http://www.wldwind.com/rpeters/potbuild.htm

Here is help from Getty on teaching cultures right:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Artworlds/index.html

I found the list of Do's and Don'ts online:
http://www.ammsa.com/classroom/CLASSEDDOS.html
If you try to remember all of the do's and don'ts you
probably will never teach Native American art again
for fear of offending someone.

Post ideas you have to teach Native America Art and I
will compile for Incredible Art Department. I will
keep in mind the "Dos and Don'ts" list when I list
project ideas on the site.

Folks who would like to see see Thanksgiving Lesson
ideas on the site - reply to this and I will compile.

Sorry for the repeat - Just hoping I might catch a few
who were searching.

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department