Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Thanksgiving Lesson Ideas

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 16:29:35 PST

Well... I was right....Folks have searched IAD for
Thanksgiving lesson ideas. There are many sites online
about Thanksgiving. I won't repost all of the Native
American ideas I shared - but will forward to anyone
who asks.

There is now an excellent lesson plan online from
Jesse for Ex Votos paintings (Thanks paintings):

Here is a repeat of my post from two weeks ago:

I am anticipating the need for Native American is that time of year again (smile).

Pottery of the Wampanoag (Eastern woodlands Indians)
would be a good lesson.

Myths of First Thanksgiving:
Some information:
Winslows account:

First Thanksgiving -Scholastic Site:

Also see Plimoth Plantation:

Teaching about Native American Art:
Some Wampanoag art:
The Wampanoag
Wampanoag history:

Ramona Peters - contemporary Wampanoag pottery forms:

Here is help from Getty on teaching cultures right:

I found the list of Do's and Don'ts online:
If you try to remember all of the do's and don'ts you
probably will never teach Native American art again
for fear of offending someone.

Post ideas you have to teach Native America Art and I
will compile for Incredible Art Department. I will
keep in mind the "Dos and Don'ts" list when I list
project ideas on the site.

Folks who would like to see see Thanksgiving Lesson
ideas on the site - reply to this and I will compile.

Sorry for the repeat - Just hoping I might catch a few
who were searching.

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department