Re: Etiquette for conference

---------

From: Sid Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 14:17:23 PST

I have stopped going to national conferences because the rudeness makes me
crazy--I understand that it costs people a lot to go and they want to get as much
as they can. I always liked ticketed events because no-one got in but the people
who paid, and they got good info/packets/supplies. Of course, if you don't get
in and there are only a few percent of all participants who could get into
workshops and they are an additional expense--then it's maddening.

How about if there were no handouts at free events, but all the work could be
downloaded from the NAEA site, or the state site. That would mean that each
presenter would have to send in a disk in MS word or something. I know
presenters often take names and offer to send out copies of the handouts, but the
mailing on this is outrageous. Maybe it would keep people from being so
competitive. The trade show needs to tie down things that aren't to be given
away. Sometimes it isn't clear since some suppliers give great stuff away.
Manning the booths adequately should help with this, and perhaps actually having
signs that say this merchandise is for sale--these are free samples with all
booths using the same signs. The trade show handouts are plentiful and I have
always ended up throwing away a lot of it when it comes time to pack the suitcase
and carry it downstairs!! There is always a mass hysteria when the trade show
opens--it's a cattle call and ensuing stampede to get the good stuff before it's
gone!. Sid

---