Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: fish artist? Louis Renard?

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 07:53:30 PST

Well... I am going to take a stab at it - Louis Renard
(1678 - 1746)? These are realistic fish renderings -
many I think are somewhat "invented" too.

From Ellen's post:
"During the Age of Enlightenment a new interest in
scientific inquiry based on direct observation and
reason. Renard's work is clouded by embellishment,
exaggeration, and outright falsification.... the brief
descriptive remarks are nothing more than
We are asked to believe that the spiny lobster lives
in the mountains, hates snakes, climbs trees, likes to
eat fruit and lays red-spotted blue eggs as large as
those of a pigeon." Or the walking fish - "I kept it
alive for three days in my house; it followed me
everywhere with great familiarity, much lie a little

cheap - calendar

Drawn from the Deep
The Fish in Science, Art, and the Imagination

You might also show Paul Klee's Goldfish and Fish
Magic (prints avaiable online).

If you go to any of the poster shops and do a search
for fish - TONS of images will come up (including many
of Renards).

Judy Decker

--- cen_aca_dp <> wrote:
> I need your help remembering the artist that did the
> fantastic fish paintings-
> I think they were very unusual- maybe imaginary. Any
> others artists who paint
> tropical fish would be appreciated also. I've been
> surfing, but haven't found
> any yet. My fifth graders are doing silk painting &
> the subject is fish, if
> you hadn't already guessed! :)
> Thank you,
> Denise Pannell