Kindergarten ideas needed

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 04:49:03 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Denise and Nancy are looking for quality lesson ideas
for Kindergarten. This is a weak area on Incredible
Art Department. Some ideas are linked from Early
Childhood Lessons:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/early/early.html

I am sure many of the Elementary lessons can be
adapted, too - I know I have not added any
kindergarten lessons.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/elemlessons.html

Here is a good one that Tammi (?) shared quite some
time ago using the book Cat's Colors by Jane Cabrera:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0803720904/102-0287640-8075300?v=glance

The first day, students collect samples of a chosen
color from magazines (Tammi had them collect blue
samples - but you could do other colors, too). They
put their color samples in a baggie. Once they have
enough colors selected, they glue them down to a sheet
of 9 x 12 paper. The next day, they finish gluing
color samples - then they make a orange cat with black
stripes to glue on top. Tammi found that it helped to
teach them step by step how to draw a cat. An
alternative idea would be to monoprint (finger paint)
a background of a color -- or paint a color (maybe
adding white to get some tints).

Post your favorites! I am compiling to link to Early
Childhood lesson plans (and elementary). It would be
nice to have one picture to go with each idea (if
possible). Complete lesson plans are NOT needed.

Thanks for bringing this topic up again Nancy.

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Jdecker@woh.rr.com