Contemporary Native American Artists - Curriculum materials

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 04:07:36 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am working on contemporary Native American artists
to run on Incredible Artists. I started looking for
artists over two weeks ago - then got sidetracked.
Some of you may want to start you own collection of
images to share with students. Add to the list I have
started (I am only interested in artists who have web
sites right now). I'll be sharing more, too.

Curriculum Materials - might interest you.
Powerful Images: Portrayals of Native Americas.
http://www.ed-resources.net/guide/exhibit/
Teachers Guide:
http://www.ed-resources.net/guide/
Lesson Plans:
http://www.ed-resources.net/guide/lessonplans/index.htm
Images:
http://www.ed-resources.net/guide/images/index.htm
American Indian Gothic - David Bradley (parody)
Chippewa:
http://www.ed-resources.net/guide/images/4.01.jpg
More work by David Bradley:
http://www.windsorbetts.com/cgi-bin/artist.cgi?artist=David%20Bradley
American Gothic Corn Dancers:
http://www.parksgallery.com/a00000000000000000000128.htm

Northwest Coast Printmakers - 6 Nations
http://www.maltwood.uvic.ca/nwcp/eindex.html
Play the game or go right to resources:
http://www.maltwood.uvic.ca/nwcp/central/resources.html
I found this link from Community Learning Network:
http://www.cln.org/subjects/aboriginal_cur.html

Tony Abeyta - Navajo:
http://www.tonyabeyta.com/ (see images and
retrospective)
Nice image that may inspire an art project - birds
composition from Pueblo pottery
http://www.tonyabeyta.com/retrospective/riogrande-waterfowl.htm
Montclaire Art Museum - Hunter's Procession:
http://www.montclair-art.com/collections/search/page_03.asp?PixIndex=50
Rainmaker Gallery (see the Kachina prints - this page
has one nude image)
http://www.rainmakerart.co.uk/tony%20abeyta.htm

Dan Lomahaftewa - Hopi/Choctaw
http://www.sharedvisions.com/DanLomahaftewa.htm
http://www.rainmakerart.co.uk/dan%20lomahaftewa.htm
See collagraphs and etchings:
http://www.rainmakerart.co.uk/dan%20lomahaftewa2.htm
Spring Arrival:
http://www.ed-resources.net/guide/exhibit/4.04.htm
Animal Ancestors:
http://www.indstate.edu/turman/95-96/loma.html

Many names to check (smile):
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/nationalities/Native_American.html

Pottery by American Indian Women: Legacy of
Generations:
http://www.sla.purdue.edu/WAAW/Peterson/index.html

Roxanne Swentzell
http://www.eggsplore.com/rox.html
Roxanne Swentzell - art
http://www.roxanneswentzell.net/

Richard Hunt - Kwaguilth -wood carving and prints
http://www.richardhunt.com/index.asp
ArtsNet Minnestoa lesson plan:
http://www.artsconnected.org/artsnetmn/inner/hunt.html

David Ruben Piqtoukun - stone carving -Canadian Inuit
http://www.davidruben.com/
See Airplane (top row):
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Landscapes/s-ig4-e.php3#
 (add the # sign)

Many nice images by Oviloo Tunnillie - woman Inuit
carver - but not a web site. You might want to collect
some images of her work. Her work might
inspire some plaster carving or clay sculpture.

Jackson Beardy - Ojibway - Prints:
http://www.eastudiosjasper.com/by_artist/beardy/by_beardy.html
http://www.mackenzieartgallery.sk.ca/collection/view.cgi?cmd=artist&artist_id=558

Bob Haozous - Chiricahua Apache -Steel sculpture and
more http://www.bobhaozous.com/

Carl Beam- Ann Beam - Anongonse Beam - Native
Candadian - image transfers - mixed media:
http://www.carlbeam.com/

Lasting Impressions: Portfolio of prints by ten
leading Native American contemporary artists.
http://www.arts.arizona.edu/lastingimpressions/index.html
http://www.arts.arizona.edu/lastingimpressions/artists.html

Many images from Jaune Quick-To-See Smith online - but
not a separate web site.

There are images online for Kay WalkingStick -
contemporary Cherokee artist (I do have links I can
forward to you)

Ongoing Exhibit at Museum of American Indian:
Continuum - 12 Artists (not all online yet):
http://www.nmai.si.edu/exhibitions/continuum/hp_flash.html

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department