Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Contemporary Native American Artists - Curriculum materials

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 04:07:36 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am working on contemporary Native American artists
to run on Incredible Artists. I started looking for
artists over two weeks ago - then got sidetracked.
Some of you may want to start you own collection of
images to share with students. Add to the list I have
started (I am only interested in artists who have web
sites right now). I'll be sharing more, too.

Curriculum Materials - might interest you.
Powerful Images: Portrayals of Native Americas.
Teachers Guide:
Lesson Plans:
American Indian Gothic - David Bradley (parody)
More work by David Bradley:
American Gothic Corn Dancers:

Northwest Coast Printmakers - 6 Nations
Play the game or go right to resources:
I found this link from Community Learning Network:

Tony Abeyta - Navajo: (see images and
Nice image that may inspire an art project - birds
composition from Pueblo pottery
Montclaire Art Museum - Hunter's Procession:
Rainmaker Gallery (see the Kachina prints - this page
has one nude image)

Dan Lomahaftewa - Hopi/Choctaw
See collagraphs and etchings:
Spring Arrival:
Animal Ancestors:

Many names to check (smile):

Pottery by American Indian Women: Legacy of

Roxanne Swentzell
Roxanne Swentzell - art

Richard Hunt - Kwaguilth -wood carving and prints
ArtsNet Minnestoa lesson plan:

David Ruben Piqtoukun - stone carving -Canadian Inuit
See Airplane (top row):
 (add the # sign)

Many nice images by Oviloo Tunnillie - woman Inuit
carver - but not a web site. You might want to collect
some images of her work. Her work might
inspire some plaster carving or clay sculpture.

Jackson Beardy - Ojibway - Prints:

Bob Haozous - Chiricahua Apache -Steel sculpture and

Carl Beam- Ann Beam - Anongonse Beam - Native
Candadian - image transfers - mixed media:

Lasting Impressions: Portfolio of prints by ten
leading Native American contemporary artists.

Many images from Jaune Quick-To-See Smith online - but
not a separate web site.

There are images online for Kay WalkingStick -
contemporary Cherokee artist (I do have links I can
forward to you)

Ongoing Exhibit at Museum of American Indian:
Continuum - 12 Artists (not all online yet):

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources