clay ideas

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 20:59:36 PST

All the "talk" about clay ideas reminded me that I just posted some of the
clay owls that my first graders. made. I got the idea at a conference years
ago, so I don't know who to give credit to. I gave them an oval slab of clay
and they rolled the top down and then pinched the beak and ears into place.
They used all kinds of tools (forks, screws, sea shells) to make the
texture. I fired them and then they used shoe polish in foam top applicators
for color (first painted the eyes yellow with acrylic paints) I sprayed
them with a clear varnish spray to make them shiny Before we did the clay
owls they did something similar with paper. There maybe some photos still on
the web of those. I displayed them with 3rd grade leaves. (the link is Third
Grade) BTW the trees where I photographed the owls are right outside my art
room window and they are beautiful right now. I let kdg. go out last week
and pick a leave to bring in and trace for their lovely leaf project. Its on
the web page under Kindergarten.
http://www.anderson4.k12.sc.us/schools/les/art.htm
              Jeryl in SC

---