Kindergarten ideas

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 08:08:38 PST

It would be great if teachers
>could post their most successful ideas on kindergarten here.

Hi! I also have kindergarten and would love to get new ideas. I'll share a few
of my projects also. Sorry, no pics until I get my new laptop (a student
accidentally knocked mine off my desk!).

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

ROY G. BIV PAINTINGS

We listened to the song Roy G. Biv off of the CD "Songs in the Key of Art" and
learned the different colors of the rainbow. They painted stripes of these
colors, in order, on a piece of 10" X 16" white paper. When dry, they cut
these paintings against the stripes into jagged pieces which were then glued
on to a black piece of paper. They resemble a shattered rainbow.

FALL REFLECTIONS MONOPRINT (adapted from KinderArt website)

Fold a piece of white paper in half the hot dog way. Using oil pastels, add a
row of trees above the fold. Fold the paper up and rub the back of the trees
to make them "jump" to the other side. (rulers, metal clips, anything hard
will work) The trees will be fuzzy, but that is O.K. because the bottom half
of the paper will be the reflection of the trees in the water. Using tempera,
add the grass above the fold & fold up and rub so that the grass is printed on
to the bottom half. We used blue liquid watercolor to add the sky &
monoprinted this as well. The last step is to add the leaves for the trees. We
used bottles of tempera (in fall colors) that have a tip on the end. They
dotted the leaves onto the top row of trees, folded it over, and rubbed. We
had lots of positive feedback on these.

MAGIC GLUE WINDOWS

Like a sandwich: Piece of acetate, watered down (magic) glue, 4 colors of
tissue ripped into small pieces, more magic glue, acetate. Add blck "leading"
using black sharpie markers- find shapes and outline. Good for teaching color
mixing also, because the tissue overlaps and bleeds together. I frame them in
cheap pre-cut white mats.

JOAN MIRO

Discuss Miro, show examples of his works, especially the Carnival of the
Harlequin. Pick out shapes, etc. I tell them to close their eyes and think of
made up worlds- fish riding bicycles, cloud people, etc. They use oil pastels
to create a strange land, making sure to use different types of line & shape.
We add "Decorative Doo-Dads" or "Stick & Lick" shapes as well.

PRIMARY LINES

Discuss types of line. Using black tempera, they paint types of line onto a
white paper. Next class, discuss the primary colors. They then fill in around
the black lines with the primaries. Very easy & abstract.

SECONDARY SHAPES

Discuss shapes and size (small, med., large). They use black tempera to paint
a shape family on to their white paper: Mommy circle, daddy circle, etc. Talk
about secondary colors and paint in around the shapes using them.

PIET MONDRIAN

A favorite! They look at Mondrian's work- I am always amazed by what they
find; cities, farms, roads, skyscrapers, Legos. I give them a 12 X 12 piece of
either black or white paper. We listen to "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" as they
work on a paper collage. I hand out strips of black, white, red, blue, and
yellow paper.
Teaches: Primary colors, neutrals, vertical lines, horizontal lines.

---