re: hot glue

---------

From: Joy McGugan (mcguganart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 07:54:15 PST

 I use hot glue to hang prints, work, etc. on the wall, but have a specific
technique for doing it. We shoot two "globs" of hot glue in the top
corners of the paper (on the back)and then very quickly place work on wall
and pull down about a half-inch or so. This leaves a smeared glob of glue
that is very easy to remove from walls (with fingernails) and doesn't tear
up paper as badly. We then go down the hall and place tiny globs of glue in
bottom corners of work.

Joy

today

> and cursed myself for applying the wax to the back. DO NOT GET ONE! We
have an

> Artwaxer and all it has managed to do is ruin the set of prints I applied
it

> to. Here's how it works- You heat up the wax & pass the picture through
the

> machine, which leaves a row of waxy lines on it. Then, you can put them
up on

> the walls without tape. Good theory. However, the wax attracts all sorts
of

> lint, dust, and bits of gunk. I mistakingly stacked the prints on top of
each

> other and I now have a waxy build up on the front of each poster because
they

> stuck together. No one in our school even touches the machine anymore- it
was

> a waste of money, in my opinion. We are in a new school with painted
brick

> walls. We have found that Peel & Seal temporary weatherstripping (found
at

> Lowe's- use a caulk gun to apply) works very well. It dries into a gummy

> substance instead of hardening like hot glue. It will pull paint off if
you

> rip down the posters, but if you are careful, it works great. Hope this
helps-

> others may have differing opinions, This is my story & I'm sticking with
it!

> :)

> Denise Pannell

> Defiance, OH

> >===== Original Message From Jeryl Hollingsworth <holl5@innova.net> =====

> >One of the PTO ladies came to me today to ask if I knew anything about

> >machines that apply wax to the back of pieces to be hung or displayed.
We

> >currently use hot glue guns to hang (on our janitors recommendations) but

> >its a pain to chip off the walls and sometimes damages the work. Also
the

> >walls need touching up after we glue and chip for awhile! I remember
seeing

> >these gadgets in the supply catalogs but don't have any idea of how well

> >they work. I did tell the lady I had several hundred (thousand?) art
friends

> >who may have some expertise in the area. So .... what about waxers??Any
one

> >know anything? I admit when she first asked me today-I immediately
thought

> >about legs that needed shaving!!

> ---

leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

Take care,
Joy A. McGugan

If painting weren't so difficult, it wouldn't be fun.
Edgar Degas

My paintings: http://mcguganart.com
St. Pauls High Art: http://sphsart.tripod.com/

---