Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

re: hot glue

From: Joy McGugan (mcguganart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 07:54:15 PST

 I use hot glue to hang prints, work, etc. on the wall, but have a specific
technique for doing it. We shoot two "globs" of hot glue in the top
corners of the paper (on the back)and then very quickly place work on wall
and pull down about a half-inch or so. This leaves a smeared glob of glue
that is very easy to remove from walls (with fingernails) and doesn't tear
up paper as badly. We then go down the hall and place tiny globs of glue in
bottom corners of work.

have an

> Artwaxer and all it has managed to do is ruin the set of prints I applied

> to. Here's how it works- You heat up the wax & pass the picture through

> machine, which leaves a row of waxy lines on it. Then, you can put them
up on

> the walls without tape. Good theory. However, the wax attracts all sorts

> lint, dust, and bits of gunk. I mistakingly stacked the prints on top of

> other and I now have a waxy build up on the front of each poster because

> stuck together. No one in our school even touches the machine anymore- it

> a waste of money, in my opinion. We are in a new school with painted

> walls. We have found that Peel & Seal temporary weatherstripping (found

> Lowe's- use a caulk gun to apply) works very well. It dries into a gummy

> substance instead of hardening like hot glue. It will pull paint off if

> rip down the posters, but if you are careful, it works great. Hope this

> others may have differing opinions, This is my story & I'm sticking with

> :)

> Denise Pannell

> Defiance, OH

> >===== Original Message From Jeryl Hollingsworth <> =====

> >One of the PTO ladies came to me today to ask if I knew anything about

> >machines that apply wax to the back of pieces to be hung or displayed.

> >currently use hot glue guns to hang (on our janitors recommendations) but

> >its a pain to chip off the walls and sometimes damages the work. Also

> >walls need touching up after we glue and chip for awhile! I remember

> >these gadgets in the supply catalogs but don't have any idea of how well

> >they work. I did tell the lady I had several hundred (thousand?) art

> >who may have some expertise in the area. So .... what about waxers??Any

> >know anything? I admit when she first asked me today-I immediately

> >about legs that needed shaving!!

> ---

Take care,
Joy A. McGugan

If painting weren't so difficult, it wouldn't be fun.
Edgar Degas

My paintings:
St. Pauls High Art: