Re: Etiquette for conference attendees

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (henneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 07:02:27 PST

The year I was conference chair for NJ I was very concerned about
etiquette problems. Venders always have stories to tell. So do hands
on workshop presenters. I did write an article for the newsletter. I
suggest an article in the newsletter just before the conference and one
immediately after. We do notice some improvement when we do an article
but it is always a concern. Any improvement is a good thing!

I have a method I use for assuring that I have all my materials
returned when I do a hands on. First, I have a partner. Second, I put
supplies into numbered zip lock bags and write in marker what is in the
bag. Third, I hand them to someone in the group and ask them to note
their number and count and be certain that everything listed is in the
bag and please be responsible for checking the bag before returning. I
have a few give-aways which I draw for and say I will start the drawing
when my partner tells me that all the supplies are accounted for.
After I started that method I have not lost anything. When everyone
sits and waits while you are looking for a missing item someone takes
that second look and finds it so they can get to the drawing. For some
reason some folks who pay for hands on think that entitles them to take
away their moneys worth of materials. I remind them that the fee pays
to reserve a chair and covers the room cost.
Sharon ~ NJ

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 06:09 PM, Pam wrote:
<snip>
> About the rudeness of some of our members --- this isn't isolated to
> TAEA.
> I've seen it over and over at the national conference. Maybe someone
> should
> give a workshop in conference etiquette. This sounds like I am
> joking, but
> I think it might be a good idea.
> Pam

---