RE: waxers for hanging work??

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 19:09:02 PST

It is funny you asked this because I pulled out my Piet MOndrian posters today
and cursed myself for applying the wax to the back. DO NOT GET ONE! We have an
Artwaxer and all it has managed to do is ruin the set of prints I applied it
to. Here's how it works- You heat up the wax & pass the picture through the
machine, which leaves a row of waxy lines on it. Then, you can put them up on
the walls without tape. Good theory. However, the wax attracts all sorts of
lint, dust, and bits of gunk. I mistakingly stacked the prints on top of each
other and I now have a waxy build up on the front of each poster because they
stuck together. No one in our school even touches the machine anymore- it was
a waste of money, in my opinion. We are in a new school with painted brick
walls. We have found that Peel & Seal temporary weatherstripping (found at
Lowe's- use a caulk gun to apply) works very well. It dries into a gummy
substance instead of hardening like hot glue. It will pull paint off if you
rip down the posters, but if you are careful, it works great. Hope this helps-
others may have differing opinions, This is my story & I'm sticking with it!
:)

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From Jeryl Hollingsworth <holl5@innova.net> =====
>One of the PTO ladies came to me today to ask if I knew anything about
>machines that apply wax to the back of pieces to be hung or displayed. We
>currently use hot glue guns to hang (on our janitors recommendations) but
>its a pain to chip off the walls and sometimes damages the work. Also the
>walls need touching up after we glue and chip for awhile! I remember seeing
>these gadgets in the supply catalogs but don't have any idea of how well
>they work. I did tell the lady I had several hundred (thousand?) art friends
>who may have some expertise in the area. So .... what about waxers??Any one
>know anything? I admit when she first asked me today-I immediately thought
>about legs that needed shaving!!

---