Re: Peeling Paint Problem

---------

From: Bill Sechler (BillSe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 15:18:31 PST

The old adage for oil painting is Fat over Lean or Lean over Fat. Do not thin the paint with Linseed oil, it is already in the paint, gum spirits of turpentine is best for thinning, paint thinner is for cleaning as it is a petroleum product whereas true turpentine is from pine trees.

>>> bjcoxteachart@msn.com 11/07/03 05:30PM >>>
Hello Everyone,
This isn't an art ed question but I thought I would send it out to all you wise souls. I did an oil painting a year ago and the outer layer of paint is starting to chip and peel off. When I did the painting I painted the background a dark blue and used oil paint thinned down with linseed oil but it wasn't so thinned that it was a wash. I didn't like the look of the dark so I went over it with a heavy white oil paint. Well the white paint is peeling off of the blue paint. If anyone can tell be what I did wrong I would really appreciate the info. The painting wasn't my favorite so it is no great loss but I want to avoid it happening again.

Thanks and Blessings,
JoeGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com