RE: Peeling Paint Problem

---------

From: mary maloney johnson (maloneymk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 12:00:48 PST

Joe,

If anyone answered you I apologize for what will probably be repitition. The rule when painting with oils is "fat over lean" in other words the slower draying paint over the faster drying paint (this can be a big chemistry lesson because each color can also differ in the amount of time it takes to dry). We used to mix linseed oil, damar varnish and terp- a third each to the paint to change the viscosity. I think it would have to stay the same or go from "lean" to "fat" (oiler mixtures on top, less oily underneath) otherwise what's on top dries faster than what's under it and it will tend to crack and peel.

Kathy