Re: How can I show famous artworks -copyright question

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 08:49:29 PST

I know that is true for text sections of a book if used for face
to face teaching. I'll admit that I've copied a class set of books
so each student would have a copy while we read, most likely that
was not legal. As for images, I'm not so sure. I've told the story
often of taking a drawing by Ben Shahn to Kinkos. I needed it
enlarged to poster size for the classroom. The worker at Kinkos
at first refused to make a copy for me. I explained that I was an
art teacher and needed it for instruction in the classroom. "Oh",
he replied, "I understand now, Ben is one of your students. In that
case it's OK for me to copy it for you." Nowadays Kinkos Zoomer
copiers are self serve so I need not worry about making copies.

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
My newest paintings from Taos: