Re: Questions to My Wise Art Friends

---------

From: Justin Kramer (bern30_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 02:40:36 PST

Maggie, thanks for this very timely thread. I had just gone through this
myself. Very different senario though - student was displaying behaviour and
attitude that could not, from any perspective, be considered normal. I
contacted the parent after some great reservation to seek more information.
The conversation proved to be even more perplexing. I got the impression
that the parent was getting some satisfaction from their child's behaviour
and she then continued to warn me of an impending wave of "hate mail" that
will swamp the staff at the school - very strange and upsetting.

After a few days after the conversation and reviewing the school year I can
see the situation more clearly and am a little grateful of the experience as
it has taught me not to overburden myself with the negative at the expense
of the many appreciative great students and thankful parents. I can conclude
the situation as an event that highlighted intentions of all parties and me
leaving it with dignity and self assurance. Thanks to all those who
contributed to this thread - I guess that this rollercoaster rider wouldn't
be too exciting if it maintained a constant altitude or ascent. I guess that
it isn't comforting to know that well all go through this but reassuring
that the positive difference that we make in so many lives reasserts us to
continue.

Cheers

Justin

---