Re: showing famous artworks without prints?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 10:32:41 PST

> I guess I'm the resident old fogy of the group...or is that old fart?
Hey Bunki, I'll let you be the old fogy if I can be the fart

I'm lucky to have all the bells and whistles of computer technology yet
I'm still denied the monies for the projections systems. I spend a lot of
time creating web searches/quests for my kids but I still love slides
the best.
I make a lot of my own slides but also reserve a couple hundred dollars
every year in my budget for getting slides from legitimate sources. Entry
into professional shows and college portfolios still, for the most part,
require slides. I guess some of us still recognize the quality of slides as
compared to web images.

> Calendars are terrific and I've gotten many ideas from unusual
> ones...BUT...you're limited to what's available and don't get much in the
> way of choices.
I used to clean out the bookstores after Christmas when calendars are
reduced, but I hardly bother anymore ----- it's the same old same old
every year----- I've had it to here with the Impressionists.

Unfortunately. getting good resources seems to continue to be on the art
educator's pocketbook
So we collect and collect and make Kinkos rich

One of the reasons I constantly am revising curriculum is because, in my
district, it's the only way to get monies for resources. So I write
curriculum that requires slides, books, or computer technology.. and then
when I need more I justify through curriculum that I need more.

But I've also considered lately just how many images I need? I work
with the ideas and concepts and let the kids make their own visuals If you
show kids too much, they waffle and waddle in that place where they think
"I can't do it as good." If you show too much the work becomes derivative
instead of original. More and more I am releasing myself from finding the
visuals. I teach art history separately from the technique lessons. What I
do is ask the students to find the universality's throughout the history to
support their choices in their own art making. They do the research They
make the choices I only ever want the art to be theirs, not mine or
somebody else's. I spend much time providing books, slides, and magazines
sources. I ask them constantly to find the image that they connect to and
determine what that connection is ---- whatever comes after the connection
is the lesson And if we don't start making the personal connections to
the object presented then I'm not sure where art ed is going.
How to find or present the visuals? Throw everything you can find out
there then guide them to how to find the way to make the connection.
forget all the bells and whistles of technology
no matter how lousy your visual image is teach the concept teach the
thought
Sometimes I think we get so caught up in the technique the artist thought
is lost teach what the artist saw and thought and conveyed and forget
how lousy the visual is .

Patty

---