showing famous artworks without prints?

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 08:16:02 PST

It takes years to pile up a great selection of prints you like--look for
calendars in museum/art shops around Feb. and you can get great deals like
75% off. I love slides, but then, I'm old and loved art in the dark. I
got books, magazines, museum brochures, etc. and made my own slides--just
take a 35mm shot of the pages
out in bright sunlight with slide film. It will cost you around $1-$2 per
slide but you will have it forever. I found that my high school has
phased
out slide projectors. I was stunned. I finally found an old one in the
science dept. The tech craze has swept over us with a vengance. Why pay
$350 for slide projectors when you can pay $3000 for a LED screen that has
bad color! I find that my students are totally bored with videos of any
kind--they often go to sleep. All the way through school teachers have
put on the good old video when they wanted to put the kids on hold--by the
time they're seniors you have to have them take notes and give them a quiz
to get them to listen. If I show slides and talk about them, they listen.

Don't feel like you need perfect stuff. The kids will tune into stuff
that you're enthusiastic about. Fine a picture on a web page somewhere
and gather the kids around your computer if that's all you can get--or
gather them around a book or magazine. Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #
# Elko, NV 89801 #