Questions to My Wise Art Friends

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 07:20:16 PST

What a week! Two parent conferences. One went fine, but the second was a
total surprise, with one parent playing "good cop," the other, "bad." I
behaved, but I also tend to internalize. (The parents' objections were
unfounded, and I had a colleague attend, but still!)

Question #1: How do you NOT internalize negativity? (Do I ask simple
questions, or what?) Or better yet, what do you do to right yourself
after parental attacks?

It took me almost 24 hours before I realized that there arguments were
specious, and didn't resolve the
issue of their son's behavior (mom never answered why her son believed it
was o.k. in her eyes for him
to flunk art). I wrote a letter to them (didn't send it), and talked to my
principal, who is supportive, but still. . . .

Question #2: That same day did a demonstration of monotype printing and
DIDN'T PUT DOWN
PROTECTIVE NEWSPRINT ON MY BLANKETS!!! So I have the most beautiful
watercolor images on
wool. Should I bring these things (had 'em five years with not too many
stains) to a dry cleaners?
Try washing with Woolite?

Thanks, oh wise ones. And, is it me, or did the list suddenly get smaller?
Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net

---