Re: Cameras for photo class - fees

---------

From: Joe Applebaum (Joe.Applebaum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 07:41:29 PST

My students pay $25 for a semester class - that covers chems, paper and a few other things. I then sell them film and mounting material. I get a great deal on factory loaded Tri-X 36x from Universal Distributors - around $2.25 a roll,I don't know if it's as cheap as bulk loading, but it sure is easier for me and them. It's also nice to give them the film when I give an assignment, this way they have no good excuse for not getting it done on time. I also get Ilford RC 8x10 multi grade pearl paper from them for a great price. Since we will use between 15,000 and 23,000 sheets this semester price does become important. I get pretty good cost on chemicals from a local photo chain. Is the $50 dollars you get for a semester or year long class?

>My question is - how do you all handle developing/printing costs? For a $25
>fee (plus matching funds from the district), the school provides chemicals
>for developing film and prints, and the students provide their own film and
>paper.

My school does it the same way. I also buy rolls of film to bulk load and
sell to the kids - there aresn't many places around here that sell black and
white film. Most end up buying the film from me, and some will go in
together and get a box of 250 sheets of paper off the internet. School
provides all the chemistry, neg sheets, etc for their lab fee.

---