Re: fixative may be toxic

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 17:41:33 PST

>I bought 10 cans of Grumbacher Matte (Tuffilm Final Fixative) . . .
>.(Contents says it contains acetone, xylene)

I do not think these volatile organic solvents are safe to breath.
Some individuals are very sensitive to them. I would not allow them
inside the classroom except with a good flame proof exhaust booth.
Even hair sprays are an irritant for me. I think it would be safer
to use something like a plant mister spray bottle and spray some
water base acrylic matt medium that has been thinned down with water
to seal dusty works. Our students may use what they wish, but they
have to take them outdoors to spray them.
Marvin

---