Re: Subject: Cameras for photo class

---------

From: Joe Applebaum (Joe.Applebaum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 15:50:44 PST

Hi Jane,

   I have 147 photo students this semester. I have 11 or 12 Pentax
K1000s that I lend out to the few students who can't get a camera from
someone. I used to have other sorts of cameras, but none hold up like
the 1000s. They are only available as used cameras. I have the
students parents sign a contract to be responsible for up to the full
replacement cost of the camera, and have had only a couple repaired at
student cost over the last 14 years. There has been some normal wear
and tear that the school has repaired. Give a shout out to your PTA,
religious groups etc. for old SLRs that they can donate to the school.
Watch for estate sales, ask there for donations, everyone can get a tax
credit or at least a good feeling about helping school kids. I would
avoid buying the new "student cameras" at all cost. I tell my students
in a letter what NOT to get along with what to purchase if they can.
Let me know if you want anymore info. email me directly, I only get
the digest form from Getty.

Joe

> Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 16:13:42 -0500
> From: "Jane Altshuler" <Jane_Altshuler@bullis.org>
> Subject: Cameras for photo class
>
> Our photo teacher keeps ordering cameras and the kids keep breaking
> them.
> She says the advance thing breaks and it costs as much to fix it as to
> replace the camera. I think we should either buy cameras that won't
> break, charge the kids for fixing them, or have the kids bring their
> own
> cameras. What do you all do? SLR cameras should not be considered
> disposable, right?
>
> Jane

---