RE: New Art Rooms

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 15:33:51 PST

Hi! Our district built a new state-funded school in 2001. We were given very
little input as to how we wanted our rooms, so there are a few problems I have
found. I teach Pre K through fifth. My sinks are too high for the youngest
dtudents, ao we use step-stools. They would not give me soap dispensers on the
walls because the kids would not be able to reach them. Does this seem
logical? :) I have three double sinks and this seems to work well. For
storage, they installed pull out shelving which has no sides or backs to it.
Therefore, if you pull the shelf out, everything falls over. I filled them
with paper and never pull out the shelves. I did not have enough shelving- I
use two ware carts for storing student work and an old painted shelf for
storing students' everyday supplies. I didn't have enough bulletin board
space, but they recently installed more. If I could have helped design the
room, I would have asked for vertical or horizontal slats for storing student
work, built in drying racks, a backsplash behind the sink (you'd think they
would have done this- paint splatters on the pitted brick is not fun), and a
colored countertop (at least not plain white!). I did get to choose the tables
and went with a laminate top. I'm not sure how they compare to wooden tables,
but these are harder than you-know-what to keep clean, especially the yellow
ones (we are a primary colored school). The stools we chose are great- they
accomidate the youngest to the oldest students. I love my digital kin- would
not change a thing there. I hope my ramblings help somewhat, even if it is
only what NOT to do!

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From Peggy Wilson <pwilson1@maine.rr.com> =====
>We are in the process of planning to build a new middle school. The plans
call for 2 art rooms with connecting office, kiln room, and storage room.
Each room is about 1,000 sq.ft. I am looking for ideas as to what should be
included for storage units in the rooms itself, sinks (how many, what type,
how to best arrange), cabinets, counter tops, display material, furniture,
etc. I would really appreciate any input as to the best features that are in
your art rooms or what you desire. The architects are open to all
suggestions. Presently, I am the only teacher and I will be retired when this
school opens, so what do you recommend. Should each be designed about the
same or should 1 be designated for 2D & 1 for 3D?

---