Re: Marbles as glaze (different idea)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 18:31:44 PST

The request for a visual of marbles as glaze prompted me to look to an
artist acquaintance.
That artist is Steve Tobin.
He lives not far from me and has spoken to my classes many times. He amazes
me with his ability to adapt and redefine his intentions. He is never
satisfied with what is comfortable. The last time I saw him he was
experimenting with "blowing up clay infused with his blown glass" (check the
Exploded clay)

But when I went to his sight to find an example I was so taken with his
latest piece. "Syntax"
http://www.stevetobin.com/syntax.html
> SYNTAX was made by welding cast bronze letters and numbers together into a
> small sphere. Then spaced 4 inches and then another layer around it and
> another 4 inches space then the next layer around it etc .
> The outer layer is composed of about 5000 letter "trees" each joined by more
> letters. When the sphere was finished (after 9 months) it was cut into with
> successively smaller concentric circles shrinking towards the center allowing
> the viewer to see into the construction.
> There are enough combinations of letters to sum up all knowledge. I calculated
> that we speak about the same amount of letters or numbers each day more or
> less. about 90% of the letters are not viewable and must be imagined. like
> the cabala the information is all there for you to unravel. The play of light
> and shadow is exquisite through the 6 feet lace like bronze.
> the visual impact from there is a strong blue green patina that fluctuates
> with
> the weather. It is either an indoor or outdoor piece weighing between 2000
> and 3000 pounds.

Tobin was trained in mathematics, not art. he is self taught in art. When I
look at his work I find the best connections. "Syntax" has given me a great
idea for a group sculpture to put on the grounds of our new building.

If you have time to view the chronology of Tobin's work I hope you find
some inspirations too.
Where do ideas come from?
Sometimes a visual only inspires another visual

guess I couldn't keep shut up especially when finding contemporary art
made with intention that doesn't offend

Patty

---