Re: shoepolish on bisqueware

---------

From: Betsy Heeney (bheeney_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 16:43:13 PST

 I am so blown away by all the wonderful ideas that I have received from the list! Joe, I am wondering if the shoe polish that you put on after all the paint, is it black , brown or clear?

Betsy in PA
On Monday, November 03, 2003, at 03:38PM, Joe Cox <bjcoxteachart@msn.com> wrote:

><<Original Attached>>

Betsy,

This is what I have my students do when we want a bronze/patina look.  We mix a squirt of acrylic burnt umber, a squirt of acrylic gold metallic paint (cheap craft paints).  Thin the paint down to the consistency of skim milk.  Before we apply it to the bisque ware I have the students soak their piece in water so the bisque ware doesn't absorb too much of the paint too fast and then wipe it off with a sponge or paper towel.  Next we mix up a mixture of light blue green with whatever we have around and about the same consistency as the brown paint (skim milk).  And apply that over the brown to give it that weathered patina look.  I tell the students not to take too much of the green paint off and let it puddle in low areas of the sculpture.  After it dries we go over the whole thing with shoe polish and buff it out to get a soft sheen.  If the students wants a really high gloss I have acrylic floor  stuff like Future (the kind you get at the grocery store) and the students can paint that on.  Hope this is clear and helpful.

Blessings,

Joe