Re: shoepolish on bisqueware

---------

From: Nancy Hegg (nhegg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 06:47:53 PST

My students have used this Faux Bronze finish very
successfully on ceramic faces. I have copied it here
because when you visit the Sculpture Center site you need
to search once you get there for the lesson. Each lesson
does not have it's own www...(I got the dark latex by
getting the paint store to add brown & black to a cheap
miss mixed gallon.)

International Sculpture Center
http://www.sculpture.org/

Lesson Title: The Magic of Multiples
Teacher: Carolyn Holmes

Technique for applying faux bronze finish:

Objective:
To apply a bronze like finish to bisque fired clay
sculpture.

Medium:

brown black latex paint (premixed in large container)
sage or forest green acrylic
bronze or gold acrylic
(Many variations are possible. Brick red, purple & blue
green added to the finish are just some examples. Students
have the freedom to experiment as the base coat may always
be reapplied and the process begun again if the experiment
is not successful.)

Procedure:

1.Dip (We painted it on) entire sculpture into a large
container of the base
color of black brown latex paint.
Make sure the latex paint covers the entire piece. Turn
sculpture upside down to make sure all surfaces of
sculpture are covered with the dark paint. Remove the
excess paint with a brush.
2.Allow latex paint to dry.
3.With a small piece of slightly wet sponge, which has
been sliced in half and cut into a small triangle, wipe on
a very thin coat of green acrylic. The dark latex should
still be slightly visible. Use only a small amount of
green. Lightly drag the sponge over the surface of the
sculpture. Avoid dabs or streaks.
4.This last step creates the faux bronze effect. Follow
the instructions carefully.
APPLY ONLY A TINY AMOUNT OF BRONZE OR GOLD.
With a small piece of wet sponge, apply a very small
amount of bronze or gold acrylic. Once again, be very
careful not to apply too much bronze or gold.
Spray with a matte or in rare cases a gloss protective
spray.

--
Scanned by Sophos Anti-Virus Mail Monitor
---