Re: prompts/Japanese food

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 05:21:43 PST

RE: I'm also planning a tea ceremony lesson

Karley,

When I came back from Japan, I worked with my ceramics students to make
teapots and cups. To introduce the unit I had a thermos of hot water, tea
bags, sugar in bags, and styrofoam cups. I invited the students to make tea
and after they had, I told them that almost everything they had just done
was totally antithetical to what the tea ceremony is all about. I explained
the ceremony and showed the tools and containers. I was also able to share
pictures of the tea room used by Japanese students to learn the ceremony.

Anyway, the contrast seemed to help bring the idea across.
Christa

---