RE: cognitive benefits of visual arts ed.

---------

Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 12:48:15 PST

I was faced with the same dilemma last spring and only had 1 month to find research. I would look at buying and reading The Arts and the Creation of Mind
 by Elliot Eisner. Another book is called Literacy and the Arts for the integrated Classroom by Nancy Lee Cecil and Phylilis Lauritzen. I would suggest looking into promoting staff development on how students learn. We need to in-service our staff on strategies that the teachers can use to create better learning in their content areas. Not cut the arts, but integrate. I am doing research on Reading in the Content Areas and how we can affect student reading scores and learning just by applying strategies that reading teachers use into our own subject. Some good journals to ask your English teachers for or your school professional library are:Phi Delta Kappan, look at June 2002 issue,Middle School Journal and I found tons of stuff in the Educational Leadership Journal, put out by ASCD Volume 60, No. 3, Nov. 2002 Titled Reading and Writing in the Content Areas. Last, but not the least, I'm sure Judy has tons of sites listed to visit on the Incredible Art Department Site. Hope some of this helps.
Renee