Re: prompts/Japanese food

---------

From: Samantha Wilmoth (phoenixfire_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 10:10:10 PST

You could do a PI day in March...3/14 of course though with it being a Sunday this year, coudl celebrate it on the 15th instead...nice way to start the week out,n'est ce pas? :)
Study circle art...make pie sculptures..or even decorative baking? Have students bring in their favorite circle shaped recipes...pies,cakes,cookies..heck even meat loaf!Anything that can be made in the shape of a circle...have them write out their recipes and create a wonderfully illustrated PiDay cookbook all while everyone samples everyone else's wares..toss in a little math as everyone measures the diameter of the circle shaped offerings..etc...then end it all up by blowing bubbles and seeing if they can estimate the size...
anddddddddd.....3/14 is also Alber Einstein birthday...conincedence?? i think not*grins*
"True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist."
Albert Einstein
so..there you go...a way to bake and decorate your cake and eat it too!
Wishing all a wonder filled day today
~Samantha

--- "kcaraway" <kcaraway@swbell.net> wrote:
Dave Barry mentioned the "fake food district" in his book "Dave Does Japan".
It's a hoot, of course.

I'm also planning a tea ceremony lesson this year, with my high schoolers.
Hope all goes well. Besides making tea bowls, we will make a banner-type
mural with calming scenery, and a calligraphy wall hanging. We will learn
about the actual tea ceremony, but I'm planning to use it partly as a way
for us to calm down and relax toward the end of the year when everyone gets
"cranky". Students can just hang out on the floor, and no one is allowed to
worry about being behind with schoolwork on tea day, just enjoy the relaxing
benefits of tea. (Now wouldn't a PIE ceremony be nice???)

Karla