Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Decreasing Arts Enrollment

Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 09:14:34 PST

In a message dated 11/28/02 7:31:33 PM Pacific Standard Time, writes:

> Are your enrollments going down? How are
> you keeping students interested in staying with Arts
> courses and not having to compete with other core
> subject areas. Is anyone experiencing a similiar
> problem in their school.

We have a large group of students that take art 1(5sections) However, if they
are freshman, they can't take art 2 because of all the other requirements for
a diploma. The other problem stems from college bound students needing more
courses in the 2nd year to stay on track. I get a lot of student in art 2
that are juniors. This means that my art 4 will slowly dwindle down to
nothing and A.P. might suffer as well. We still have a big dept., but I see
it becoming more beginning classes and less in the upper levels.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA