Re: Holiday Art vs. Craft

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 15:01:49 PST

on 11/29/02 11:41 AM, Nnaell@aol.com at Nnaell@aol.com wrote:

> What if you focused in on holiday-themed work by master artists? Norman
> Rockwell, Currier and Ives

or anna mary robertson aka grandma moses. the thing is, there is hardly
anything like the images these artists produced in the realm of today's
kids' experiences. their plastic trees from walmart, electronic toys, etc.
will result in images very different from the old fashioned christmases of
days gone by. perhaps instead of christmas per se, one could focus on
holiday celebrations and family togetherness...although even that is absent
from the lives of some kids.
it just popped into my head to take all of the commercial christmas images
and do something on pop art (warhol, lichtenstein) or the abstractions of
stuart davis.
however, for the younger students, no matter what you do that involves fine
motor skills (cutting and pasting little christmasy things) is legitimate as
many are so lacking in that area.

happy leftover day!
linda in michigan

---